Have you ever woken up in the morning and thought, “I don’t feel like going to work today”? I know I have. Immediately, I start to think about what excuse I could give that might allow me to stay home and just relax. More often than not, my conscience gets the best of me and I clamber out of bed and into work, anyway.
I’ve always wondered, why is it that we feel the need to give an excuse anyway? Sometimes, we are sick and that’s a reason in itself; but other times, we just need a day away from the office. What’s wrong with that?
A new CareerBuilder survey says that the economy is playing a role in employees calling in “sick” to work. The annual survey on absenteeism shows 32 percent of workers have played hooky from the office this year, calling in sick when they were well at least once. Twenty-eight percent of employers think more employees are absent with fake excuses due to increased stress and burnout caused by the recession.
About 12 percent of employees said they played hooky from work to avoid a meeting, give themselves some more time to work on a project or avoid the wrath of a boss, colleague or client. Others missed work because:
- 31 percent needed to go to a doctor’s appointment
- 28 percent needed to relax
- 16 percent needed to catch up on sleep
- 13 percent had to run personal errands
- 10 percent had to catch up on housework
- s10 percent wanted to spend time with family and friends
- 32 percent just didn’t feel like going to work that day
Of course, CareerBuilder also asked employers to share the most unusual excuses they’ve heard from employees calling in sick. Here are the top 12:
- I got sunburned at a nude beach and can’t wear clothes.
- I woke up in Canada.
- I got caught selling an alligator.
- My buddies locked me in the trunk of an abandoned car after a weekend of drinking.
- My mom said I was not allowed to go to work today.
- A bee flew in my mouth.
- I’m just not into it today.
- I accidentally hit a nun with my motorcycle.
- A random person threw poison ivy in my face and now I have a rash.
- I’m convinced my spouse is having an affair and I’m staying home to catch them.
- I was injured chasing a seagull.
- I have a headache from eating hot peppers.
Click here to read the full survey.
What about you guys? What excuses have you given to play hooky? Employers, what have you heard from employees?