Holiday movies have some of the most beloved and loathed characters in cinema. Remember Macaulay Culkin in “Home Alone”? Or Ebenezer Scrooge from any incarnation of Charles Dickens’ classic “A Christmas Carol”? While most are larger than life, many of their traits can be found in the people who surround us at work every day.
A new CareerBuilder survey asked more than 4,500 workers which holiday movie legend most reminded them of their bosses, and a certain red-nosed character was one of the most popular answers.
But the most agreed-upon character was George Bailey, loving father and husband from “It’s a Wonderful Life,” played by the inimitable Jimmy Stewart. Workers thought highly of their bosses when choosing him, citing that he was well-liked and willing to help others in a bind.
Check out the full list below.
Which holiday movie character most reminds you of your boss?
- George Bailey from “It’s a Wonderful Life” –19 percent
Well-liked, always willing to help others.
- Rudolph from “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” — 14 percent
Can navigate successfully through tough situations.
- Willie, the main character from “Bad Santa” — 10 percent
Rough around the edges but not a bad person deep down.
- Ralphie from “A Christmas Story” — 8 percent
Stays focused on one goal and thinks about nothing else.
- Kevin from “Home Alone” — 8 percent
Resourceful and independent.
- Ralphie’s father from “A Christmas Story” — 8 percent
Old school; swears a lot when things don’t go as planned.
- The Grinch from “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” — 7 percent
Keeps a distance from others, but longs to be a part of the group.
- Clark Griswald from “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” — 7 percent
Likable but nothing seems to go right for him or her.
- Santa from “Miracle on 34th Street” — 6 percent
Jolly no matter the circumstance.
- Buddy from “Elf” — 5 percent
Naïve and easily awed.
Interesting that Rudolph garnered the second-highest number of votes. I would assume that a red-nosed boss would have too many spirits hidden in his desk, if you know what I’m saying. View the entire survey.
What other holiday films do you love that have characters similar to co-workers or your boss?