People are so much more than the skills or work history listed on their résumés. With Job Seeker Spotlight, we give individuals the opportunity to highlight their creativity, personality and passion for employers who are looking to hire today. Today’s featured job seeker is Nancy Barker from Seattle. Continue reading for more about Barker:
- What is your desired position/title? Event planner
- What industry are you looking for work in? Marketing, advertising or communications
- What makes you a unique and better candidate against others who may have similar skills? When others are roadblocked with conventional methods to solving problems, I forge ahead with my pioneering spirit to create new avenues of resolving issues. I’m not afraid to think outside the box in any given situation; in fact I embrace it.
- How do you demonstrate passion for your work or your profession? Each day I go to work I lay my integrity on the line. I want the organization to know how much I believe in my work and how much I believe it’s right for them. I plan an event beginning and ending with details; every detail you can imagine. I want the company and the attendees to walk away from an event waiting to be invited to the next one.
- How do you stay informed about changes or advances in your chosen profession/industry? I belong to a number of forums and groups that are active in the field of event management, event planning, special events nationally and internationally, career advice for event professionals, and problem solving for event professionals. They offer webinars, blogs, specialized group topics, continuous discussions and information about conventions and trade shows.
- What’s the best piece of career advice you’ve ever received? Don’t be afraid to ask for help or admit when you’re wrong. Not everyone has ALL the answers.
Apply to be featured in the Job Seeker Spotlight! All job seekers get one-on-one job-search help with a career strategist to assist in improving their job hunt. (Are you an employer and want to contact Nancy? You can find her today in CareerBuilder’s Resume Database.)