If you are a professional artist or illustrator, cleaning your pens is the first step to keeping your drawing tools in their tip-top shape.
Rapidograph pens are a type of technical pen used for drafting, sketching, and illustration. Rapidograph pens require cleanliness for proper function and longevity. If you need helpful tips on how to clean Rapidograph pens, take a look at this blog post that will show you how it’s done.
How to Clean Rapidograph Pens with Acetone
What to Prepare:
- Papers or tissue
- A small brush
- Cotton swabs
Remove the pen cap and unscrew the barrel, then take your pen apart as far as it will go. You may have to use pliers for this part or risk breaking off one of those minor metal parts.
Hold the pen point down and gently clean out any dried ink with a paper towel or tissue.
If there is still dried ink inside, use a small brush (like an old toothbrush) to clean it out. Be careful not to damage the pen tip.
You may soak your Rapidograph pen in clean water. If you do not clean those pens often, the ink may dry and clog the tip.
You can also soak a cotton swab with acetone to clean around where the nib attaches to the metal tube on your Rapidograph pen.
Then, use a tissue or paper towel to wipe away any remaining inks until no more ink appears on them.
Be careful not to get any of this cleaning fluid inside of your pen, as it will dissolve the internal seals and cause it to malfunction.
Reassemble the pen by screwing the barrel back on and replacing the cap.
Once you have cleaned your pens, make sure to dry them before putting them away properly.
- Once you have cleaned your pens, make sure to dry them before putting them away properly
- Rapidograph pens should be stored in a cool, dark place when not in use - this will prolong their lifespan and keep them in good working condition
- It is also important to clean your work surface regularly when using Rapidograph pens. Dried ink can be difficult to remove from surfaces
- Don't use an alcohol-based solution as it can damage your pens
- You should also avoid using soap. It is because soap may dissolve the adhesive holding metal components of Rapidograph pens together over time like all solvent-type cleaners
How to Clean Rapidograph Pens Using a Sharp Object
Another way to clean your pens without using any liquids is by using a sharp object such as a toothpick or a clean safety pin to clean out dried ink inside of the pen.
Hold your Rapidograph in one hand and use a sharp object to remove excess particles from the tip by scraping it across selected areas.
Wipe clean with a cloth or paper towel if needed. Avoid touching the metal point itself as you could tear off pieces of plastic. In such cases, there will be jagged edges that will catch on paper when drawing, causing them not to work properly
Do NOT place pressure on the edge because this can cause damage rendering your pens completely useless.
Repeat as needed. Then, put the pen away in a clean space.
What ink does a Rapidograph use?
A Rapidograph is a type of pen that has to use clean ink. The ink is contained in a cartridge, and the pen has a small hole at the tip.
When you press down on the paper with the pen, the ink is released through the hole.
Rapidograph pens are available in different sizes, and you can buy them with or without a cap. The pen has a metal barrel and a plastic grip.
How to use a Rapidograph?
A Rapidograph is an analog technical pen for drawing clean, crisp lines. Rapidographs are created with various tip sizes and materials for different uses.
Here's how you use it:
- Hold the pen in your writing hand between your thumb and index finger
- Place the middle finger on top of the barrel or grip area so that when pressed down, they will activate/deactivate the valves in quick succession without pressure interruption
- Keep two fingers outstretched under this point to act as supports helping control pressure against the paper surface. When using more than one Rapidograph at once, place them parallel and
- insert them into each other like chopsticks first. Then, hold onto both barrels
- Gently press the pen against the paper and move it across the surface in the desired direction
- Release pressure on the pen to stop drawing
Cleaning your Rapidograph pens regularly is crucial to their longevity. If you want to keep them in good condition, it's best to use the following cleaning method once every two weeks.
You can also clean them more often than desired for extra protection. Be sure not to submerge the pen nibs during this process, and make sure all other pieces are dry before exposing them again.